July part of the Project-a-long with Béasarah
A holiday sewing project with the template!
Holidays are here, our strips are getting more and more sunny! Go share your progress on the Simply Vintage facebook group and with the hashtag #QUILTMANIA2021! July is taking you on a roadtrip with a van sewing project. Béa accompanies us for the beginning of the Summer so go get your fabrics scraps!!
Find the first sixth parts on our blog.
The adventure continues for us on the paths of the GR4. I can hear your question from the depths of the Margeride… “Why a van when you are walking? “
It is simply to tell you about this novel that I read in the evening in our tent that despite the tiredness of the day keeps me awake and transports me:
“All the blue of the sky” by Melissa de Costa. … This first work moves me, gives a life to the stars, a beautiful blue sky. It is a novel full of Commitment, Delicacy, and Love that will make you travel differently. You will then understand the presence of the van on my month of July.
To consume without moderation!
July is surely the 14th of July (in France), the guinguettes, the party!… I dare to hope that covid will allow us…
Happy vacations to all.
This project measures 10 x 10 cm (4” x 4”) and will be positioned above the month of June:
- Tone on tone floral linen square: 10 x 10 cm (4”x 4”)
- Dark and plain fabric scraps for the road
- Various colored fabric scraps lined with double-sided fusible web for pennants and bulbs
- Rectangle of blue-gray fabric for the windshield: 2.5 x 4 cm (1”x 1½”)
- Plain unbleached fabric scrap for the body of the van
- Piece of plain blue fabric for the wings of the van
- Plain white fabric scrap for the bumper, the mirrors and the 3 signs
- Greyish fabric scraps for the headlights and the tires
- Embroidery cotton: black, white, green
- Fancy thread 15 cm (6”)
- Water soluble marker
1) On the linen square apply the 2 sides of the road (piece 1).I left the bottom seamless and frayed.
2) With the erasable pencil, transfer the silhouette of the van on the linen square, using the model for positioning. Also trace the 3 threads of the garlands.
3) Embroider these 3 threads in back stitch, with black cotton (1 strand)
4) From the various colored fabric scraps, cut out a total of 11 pennants and 6 bulbs. Glue them in place with an iron.
5) Lay out and pin (or glue) the rectangle for the windshield (piece 2). Apply the different parts of the van (from 3 to 10) in the traditional way, following the numerical order noted on the templates (click to download).
a) Don’t forget to hollow out the windshield area on part 5, leaving a small seam allowance
b) The seam allowances on the outside of pieces 6 and 7 will slide under the body of the van.
6) From the white fabric lined with double sided iron-on voile cut out the mirrors (pieces 11 and 12), iron them in place and secure around the edges with a white scallop stitch.
7) With black cotton (one strand) embroider the luggage rack, the inside mirror, the windshield wipers, the van’s mark.
8) On each side of the road embroider the grass with green cotton and throw stitching.
9) Cut out the 3 signs from the white fabric lined with double-sided iron-on voile. Iron them in place. On top, with a erasable pencil write your words “message”. Then embroider them with a throw stitch and black cotton (1 strand).
10) Place your work on the sheet, above the month of June.
Attach the 2 layers together with sand stitch, only on the visible parts of the flowered linen. Quilt the edges of the van.
11) On the way make a few throw stitches and knot with white cotton (1 strand).
12) On the July base, run a fancy thread and fix it with a Boulogne stitch.
It’s up to you…and enjoy reading if you are tempted!
See you soon.
Béatrice Airaud is a decorative and textile art designer with many talents. Discover her poetic universe as well as her kits and adorable ornaments on her website. Don’t hesitate to follow her facebook and instagram pages.
Find all the chapters of the “Xmas by Quiltmania avec Béa” on our blog, some lovely handmade decorations are waiting for you.